top of page

Jaguar XK 120 OTS

FACTS

1948 - 1952

CONSTRUCTION YEAR

Malcolm Sayer

DESIGNERS

6 cylinders

3,400 CC

160 hp

ENGINE

7,373

NUMBER OF PIECES

1951

BMWBarockengel-117.jpg

STORY

The Jaguar XK 120 is a two-seater roadster that Jaguar launched in 1948 as the successor to the SS100.

The XK 120 was created as a stopgap solution for the London Motor Show in October 1948, the first after the war.

Jaguar actually wanted to present its new inline six-cylinder engine, internally called the XK6, as the powertrain for a new high-speed sedan (later the Jaguar Mark VII).

However, the body development at Pressed Steel was not yet complete.

This is how the idea was born to display the engine in a sleek sports car as an eye-catcher.

After customers showed unexpectedly great interest, it became clear that the originally planned production of 240 vehicles would not be enough. Therefore, in April 1950, a variant with the same shape and a welded body made of sheet steel was released, of which a total of 7,373 units were produced until the series was discontinued in 1954.

In 1954, the XK 120 model was replaced by the Jaguar XK 140.

Jaguar also installed the XK 120 engine in the racing versions, which were called Jaguar XK 120 C or Jaguar C-Type and D-Type.

However, they had completely independently designed chassis and bodies, while the engines had been significantly modified to increase their performance.

PERSONAL STORY

The Jaguar in question impresses with its original condition and great handling. It has spent the last few years in collections in Holland and Germany and has been driven with pleasure in various rallies.

bottom of page