top of page

Willys Jeep MB

FACTS

1942 - 1945

CONSTRUCTION YEAR

Willy's Overland

DESIGNERS

4 CYLINDERS

2,199 CC

60 HP

ENGINE

335,000

NUMBER OF PIECES

1943

Willys Jeep-1.jpg

STORY

The history of the Willys Jeep MB dates back to the time of World War II. The term "MB" stands for "Military B" and was used to identify the vehicles produced by Willys-Overland and Ford for the US military during the war.

In the late 1930s, the U.S. military recognized the need for a lightweight, all-terrain vehicle for a variety of tasks, including transportation, reconnaissance, and communications.

Various automakers, including Willys-Overland and Ford, were asked to develop prototypes. The goal was to create a vehicle that was lightweight, off-road capable and versatile.

In 1941, the Willys-Overland prototype was chosen as the winner and the vehicle was standardized as the Willys MB.

Due to high demand, Ford was also commissioned to produce a variant of the Willys Jeep. This became known as the Ford GPW, where "GPW" stood for "General Purpose Willys".

During World War II, Willys-Overland and Ford produced hundreds of thousands of Jeep vehicles for the Allies. These vehicles were used in a variety of military roles and gained widespread recognition for their reliability and versatility.

PERSONAL STORY

This Jeep remained in Austria after the war and was used for many years by a fire department in Lower Austria.

Until a farmer bought it and restored it piece by piece.

But private restoration projects often become tiring and so we took over this Jeep, almost completely restored, and completed it.

bottom of page